The Boston Celtics seem fully focused on the present this season. But they'll also pay homage to their rich basketball past.
The Celtics on Thursday unveiled their 2023-24 City Edition uniforms, which they'll wear during 15 games this season beginning with a Nov. 10 matchup with the Brooklyn Nets at TD Garden. Here's a look at the new threads:
Stay in the game with the latest updates on your beloved Boston sports teams! Sign up here for our All Access Daily newsletter.
There's more than initially meets the eye with Boston's latest alternate uniform, which comes with the tagline, "Committed to the Craft." Here are a few details the Celtics shared about their new look:
- The font for the "BOSTON" wordmark is inspired by the facade of the YMCA in Springfield, Mass., where James Naismith famously invented the sport in the late 1800s.
- The side panels on the jersey and shorts feature a "basket weave" effect embellished with a bar tack made to resemble the bar tacks used to fasten together a peach basket, which was used as the "hoop" in the earliest iteration of basketball.
- The belt buckle on the shorts features a leather basketball design reminiscent of the ball first used to play the game.
The uniform is a fitting tribute to one of the NBA's most iconic franchises -- the Celtics were one of the league's original 11 teams when it launched as the Basketball Association of America in 1946 and boast 17 championships, tied with the Los Angeles Lakers for the most all-time -- as well as the region's roots as the "birthplace of basketball."
MORE CELTICS COVERAGE
Boston's first game wearing the new uniform will be in its first NBA in-season tournament game against the Nets next Friday. Here are the 15 games where the Celtics will rock their new look (all times Eastern):
- November 10 vs. Brooklyn Nets, 7:30PM*
- November 15 at Philadelphia 76ers, 7:30PM
- November 28 vs. Chicago Bulls, 7:30PM*
- December 19 at Golden State Warriors, 7:00PM
- December 29 vs. Toronto Raptors, 7:30PM
- January 11 at Milwaukee Bucks, 6:30PM
- January 19 vs. Denver Nuggets, 7:30PM
- February 1 vs. Los Angeles Lakers, 7:30PM
- February 11 at Miami Heat, 2:00PM
- February 27 vs. Philadelphia 76ers, 7:30PM
- March 7 at Denver Nuggets, 8:00PM
- March 11 at Portland Trail Blazers, 7:30PM
- March 14 vs. Phoenix Suns, 7:30PM
- April 7 vs. Portland Trail Blazers, 6:00PM
- April 14 vs. Washington Wizards, 1:00PM
*Denotes in-season tournament game