Morris exits game against Knicks with hip injury


BOSTON – Just when it seemed Marcus Morris had turned the corner health-wise, he now finds himself once again back in a state of uncertainty. 

A hard spill on his left hip late following a breakaway dunk in latter stages of the third quarter in Boston’s 103-73 win over New York, wound up ending what was shaping up to be Morris’ best scoring night for the Celtics.

And the fall-out may sideline him even longer. 

MORE CELTICS: Blakely's stars, studs, and duds from C's-Knicks

After the game, Morris said he’s still very sore but team doctors said the pain may linger for 48 hours “or it might go away tomorrow” said Morris who added, “we’re not sure yet.”

If it does wind up keeping him out of Friday’s game against Atlanta, it would be yet another setback in a season filled with them for the 6-foot-9 forward. 

A sore left knee kept him in and out of the lineup until Boston’s trip to London earlier this month. 

In that game against Philadelphia, Morris scored 19 points and has been playing the best basketball in this, his first season with the Celtics. 

Despite not playing the entire fourth quarter and the latter stages of the third, Morris had a game-high 20 points against the Knicks on 6-for-9 shooting to go with five rebounds, two assists and two steals. It was his ninth straight game reaching double figures scoring.

Morris is now one shy of matching his career-high 10 game streak of double digit scoring set across two seasons (April 8, 2016 to Nov. 9, 2016).

During the last nine games, he’s averaging 14.6 points per game.

The injury itself was painful. 

But Morris seemed to be even more bothered by there not being a call made or some type of stoppage of play when he was on the parquet floor for several seconds clearly in a whole lot of pain. 

“I didn’t hear one whistle for a foul or any whistle,” Morris said. “I feel like there should have been something instead of just continuing to let the ball go. Other than that, I knew I was going to be sore but I was able to get up and walk off.”

After the game, head coach Brad Stevens explained why the officials did not stop the play until Boston committed a foul away from the ball which led to a free throw for ex-Celtic Courtney Lee. 

“We can’t stop the clock, because it’s their ball,” Stevens said. “So, I can’t call time-out until the foul occurs. Then you can call time-out, walk out on the floor, help him up. We fouled away from the ball. So, I guess we didn’t cover that entire scenario in the preseason.”


Contact Us